My most embarrassing moment? I guess it had to be when I was sixteen. I was going away with my debate team to state championships. Lucky me, I started my period for the very first time right before we were to get on the van.

I hurried to the bathroom, but didn't have any sanitary supplies. I girl came in with me and had a tampon. Now, I'd never seen a tampon in my life and didn't know how to use it, but I answered "yes, of course" when she handed it to me and asked if I knew how to use it.

All the way to the championships, I was painfully aware of this tampon and when we arrived, there was a large pool of blood on the seat and across the back of my skirt.

Discarding the misused tampon, I wadded up toilet paper into my underwear, tried to rinse out my skirt, but nothing worked. The stain remained. Without any time to change, my debate team was sent to our rooms to begin our challenges. I was mortified. I walked in such a way to hide most of the stain and while I was on stage I don't think it could be seen. Instead of turning to go back to my seat, I would walk backwards.

Imagine my surprise that even with all those distractions our team won! Once we arrived at our sponsor's home she was nice enough to point me to a box of sanitary pads and I was saved. No one teased me about the situation and I only got a ruined skirt out of the process.