JawJaw, Thank you for sharing such a touching Christmas memory. It reminded me of a truly beautiful teal and black pleated wool skirt and matching scarf that my mother made me when I was in junior high (all the rage in 1956!). She was quite the seamtress and and made all my clothes when I was growing up.

I even remember the blue and red gingham dress with its white pique yoke and three shiny red buttons when I was four! I was sad when she started working more and I had to buy store-bought dresses that looked like everyone else's.

Every dress and blouse and skirt was a gift of love from a mother who was a single parent almost from the day I was born, who could have wallowed in unhappiness, but instead made our lives the best that they could be. She even supervised the construction of a brand new home for us when we lived in Colorado Springs. A supermom before her time.

This is my first Christmas without her...but my home is filled with her embroideries, beautiful reminders of her talent and her love. My comfort is that she is with our Lord and organizing all the angels in heaven. How that little 5'3" woman could get things done!