This receipe reminded me of a funny incident. I was born and raised in Texas by my Granny Vi. She was a super cook. Unfortunately, as many of her era she never used recipes and never wrote anything down. I spent my childhood watching her make what she called "cream gravy" for the unintiated, that is gravy made with flour and milk. (whole milk honey, not that 1 or 2% stuff.) We had this delicacy at least once a day at breakfast and/or dinner. So, when I was a young married I decided to make "cream gravy" for my hubby one night. I had already fried up the chicken fried steak and the "cracklins" were still in the pan. At this point, my memory failed. I could not remember if it was more milk than flour or more flour than milk. I could picture Granny pulling the cold milk out of the icebox and pouring it up to the rim of one of our ice tea glasses. Musta been somewhere around 12 ounces or so. But, for the life of me I could not picture her with the flour tin! How much darn flour? I tried to call her, but this was in the days when someone was on the phone you got a busy signal. With my wonderful chicken fried steaks getting cold and my hubby getting hungry, I decided to plunge ahead. I poured up the glass of milk and stared at the flour, oh what the heck I poured in a full cup of flour and began valiantly stirring. I then added the milk. That mess was so thick you could stand a spoon in it! I had no idea what to do and when my hubby got a look at it, we had a good laugh at my "puddin gravy!" When I finally got Granny on the phone she had a good laugh too, she said that a cup of flour was a good idea if I planned to feed the army! By the way, about a tablespoon of flour would have been just about right for 12 ounces of sweet milk!

Thanks for reminding me.