Hi girls, I'd like to add my two cents worth. My number one son is now 21 and is a finish carpenter doing fine and actually I think he makes more money than I do now.

But I think I had to tell him EVERY day to do his homework, do his homework, do his homework. He was bright, personable, but not thrilled with taking orders from anyone. He didn't like teachers telling him anything when he was in h.s., didn't like wearing a helmet while skating/riding his bike, didn't like staying 'on the block' when he was little (6)...you get the picture.
So when he was your son's age, I told him repeatedly to get a job and finally he did. He went to work for a fast food place. And he liked the check. Then he found he liked doing something well. Then he found his own rhythm.
With each job he quit to do something a little better until he got this carpentry job. He started working with my husband but then my husband couldn't do it anymore and the boss kept my son.
I guess my point is - don't worry - let him find his own rhythm. Thank GOD we are allowed to have the gift of getting to have children who are truly special and unique.
I have one totally "normal" child (our daughter) who thinks that she's a non-conformist when she wears two different colored socks, (socks that will be completely covered by jeans and her shoes.)
My boys on the other hand, all three of them are in various stages of living by-the-seat-of their-pants, but I have no fear that they'll figure it out.
And what's really amazing is that while you worry and fret for them - the interviewer has no such hang-ups. All they see is the unencumbered kid-looking for a job.
They don't know the strangeness or the little irresponsibilities or anything about that kid.
They don't see that your husband is just hoping the 'kid gets a job'. They don't see that angst.
They just see the person. And he'll do fine. No matter what, he'll learn from his experience, good or bad. If it's not a perfect fit, he'll know what doesn't fit and have a better idea of what does.
He's on the cusp of life. Help him embrace it so he'll eagerly approach it.

Kate
p.s. Sorry, that was at least a bucks worth. [Razz]

[ June 21, 2004, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: DreamrKate ]