Lynn,

Talk about turning lemon into lemonade! I think it is wonderful that you have gone public with your story and spend your time helping other people to come to terms with their own situations. As you well know, so many people think that they are alone in their struggles with abuse, addiction, depression, etc., when nothing could be further from the truth. Unfortunately, many other people share that miserable experience but are afraid to talk about it.

Depression is an interesting subject. I became severely depressed during the 18 months that I had to wait here in Canada for my hip to be replaced. I needed it replaced in my late forties because I was sick and badly injured by a drunk driver in my twenties, and the damaged joint eventually gave out on me. I often find that when I talk about my physical health, people are receptive, but when I talk about my mental-health, people tune out.

The message that I get is that I should be stronger emotionally. I should not get depressed! I should just take whatever deck life has dealt me and shut up about it. So, I went on at length about my depression in my book in case other people, who were experiencing extreme physical pain, also felt depressed. I wanted them to know that they weren't alone.

My best friend killed herself at the age of 25. Her mom told me that many people wanted to avoid talking to her about her daughter's death. Meanwhile, her other daughter had cancer. Neighbors and clerks in the store didn't have any problem in talking about the second daughter's cancer but the first daughter's suicide seemed to paralyze the townfolks.

We have long way to go in terms of understanding and accepting mental-health issues. And you are really helping to bring those issues to the forefront.

Best,