Louisa, I sent the manuscript in paper. You can also send it on a CD, which I think by now they prefer. Authorhouse creates the book. That's part of the deal: they produce, print, bind, etc. one book at a time as it is ordered via direct sales on their web site to the public or through amazon.com and bn.com. Book stores special order one book at a time from Authorhouse via a customer request. The turn around time direct to the buyer is 3-5 days, including shipping time. Then, every quarter Authorhouse sends the royalty check to me. I just got one for a whopping $19.90. However, that was for a number of books I didn't have to work hard to sell. Yes, I do my own marketing. I am in the process of perusing reviewers from on-line sites to get a chance to be reviewed. One reviewer said he gets 400 requests a month to be reviewed. So I have to make my "package" attractive by including print interviews and "what readers say." I am always looking for marketing ideas. To get my books to sell I buy lots of 25 at wholesale from Authorhouse, then sell them at retail. The advantage to the buyer is that she gets a signed copy. I can't believe how important this is to the reader. I need a business plan with goals, which is my New Year's resolution. Love, Light, and Luck, Lynn