I work for an education association and it seems like we can't stop hearing about this epidemic of children getting more and more overweight. We get all kinds of reports from the ADA (American Diabetes Assciation) and the American Academy of Pediatrics or other meidcal associations telling us about the proliferation of Tyoe 2 diadetes, heart problems, etc.. that children now have thanks to their poor diets and inactivity. The Surgeon General in mid 2002 declared a "war" on childhood obesity and overweightness. The reason why our association is so engrossed in it is because of the need to change cafeteria selections, the need to bring back recess and physical education in schools (Many schools do not do these two things anymore because of the need to meet more standards.), and the need to teach about nutrition in schools.

I was wondering what you all thought about the childhood obesity concerns. Do you all see this in the children you know? Do you think schools should do more? What should parents do? Do you think that focusing on weight in young children will only make matters worse for eating disorders and weight issues as they get older?

My feeling is that it is a problem, but that we need to get children into physical activities and better eating habits rather than looking at it in terms of weight. The losing weight craze starts way too young now as it is and I fear that focusing this issue on weight rather than health will distort what children already think about body image and self esteem.