For a few months last year I had a self imposed news black out. I cancelled the paper and stopped watching the news. I found myself sinking into depression and being constantly anxious about all of the bad news. I spent more time reading and writing in my journal. I felt better pretty quickly. But news has crept back into my life....and it isn't any better than it was last year. The broadcasts last evening about the two children, one missing for days whose body was found, apparently murdered by the mother's boyfriend and one tortured and starved to death.
As a mother I am horrified. As a human being I am dismayed. If as an adult, I can not handle or process this information, how can we expect our children to? Remember when we were kids and had school assignments re: current affairs? Frankly, I don't want my children reading the paper or watching the news....the current affairs are just sickening. I think I'll return to my black out....there just isn't enough paxil in the world to help me deal with the anxiety that tv brings into my house.