My husband and I renovated a 100 year old house when we were in our twenties. Before the spread of suburbia, it had been the home of a large family, surrounded by orchards and farming.
The first day of moving in I walked around the house praying and asking for God's blessing of each room. I never felt uneasy living there, although I was often alone at night when my husband was working. When it came time to get the electrical wiring redone, the electrician inspected under the house and claimed to sense all sorts of spiritual presences and would not take the job. Maybe it was just an excuse - didn't want the job? But I thought he displayed real fear.
A few years later when my son was little he claimed to have seen a very large pure white spider (quite impossible) walking down the hall. Was he dreaming? I always told him so, but he remains unconvinced. I always felt totally secure in God's protection - and I think that is the difference - there is no need to fear anything if the maker of the universe has you in his hand. After seven happy years there, we sold the house, not because of any of this but because of the local criminal element (but that's another story.)