I didn't think you'd attack a homeschooler. But one never knows who's lurking!

Those are typical for some people. How's that for a vague answer?

There is no one overarching reason, in my opinion. Lots of people start homeschooling for common reasons, but that is rarely the reason they continue.

For instance, I began homeschooling because my son was suspended from school for something I thought was unfair (he wasn't a problem child at all in school, never got in trouble--but this was an injustice). That's not the reason my youngest never went to school, though. We unschool because it's an lifestyle that flows naturally out of our relationship as a family. It's a more autonomous type of life for my sons, which allows them use their innate personal power to determine the course of their lives from an early age (birth, pretty much).

Some hs for religious reasons, some for philosophical, some academic, some political. We do it for entirely selfish reasons. We like our kids. We like being with them and enjoy their company. I only have one at home now, and as many of us know, time is short when raising kids. We blink and they're grown. So yeah, I'm selfish. Being selfish requires very little patience, because I'm doing exactly what I love to do! Be with my kid!

NMY