This twist in the thread is tugging at my own heart. When we lived in Nova Scotia, I had such a lovely network of friends - some were work-related, some were choir-related, some were church community, some were neighbours. I could go anywhere in the twin cities and run into people I knew. But even with all of those wonderful people in my life, I never knew how to just call somebody up for a cup of tea, or to go shopping, or to go for lunch with. I still have one best friend from those days, the only person besides my brother, that I've ever been able to call like that. Now that we've moved a few thousand miles away, that's no longer possible. When I was working, I had work friends that I went out with occasionally. But then with my breakdown, I lost touch with all of them too. So now it's just hubby and me...and like Hannelore says, he just ain't no girlfriend, is he!

I miss having someone in my life that I can just call for lunch or tea or even just a nice long chat. The person I have the best chats with now are my 5-year-old granddaughter. She's precious and I love those chats, but let's face it, there are some rants that you just can't have with a 5-year-old!

Anyway, I hear you Hannelore. I sure wish there was a way we could get together for lunch...

(Maya Angelou)