Chatty,
That must be a very interesting article. I have written on here before about how I would like to write a book about loneliness. I think it is at foundation of so many of the physical, emotional and cultural ills of the world today.
I fight my general tendency to become reclusive because I know it ultimately leads to loneliness. I have seen the results of loneliness in nursing homes and in hospitals and it is very destructive and extremely painful. I have always been drawn to lonely people. In the hospital, it was one of the few types of pain I could relieve with a just kind word and a smile.
As a child, our closest neighbors were at least a mile away, but I can never recall anyone who I would say was lonely. Today when people are physically closer than ever before, there seems to be an increasing epidemic of loneliness.
I wonder why. I wonder if it is because as people overpopulate the earth, we become more competitive for the dwindling space and are increasingly guarded in our relationships thus more reclusive and lonelier.
Just a theory. I hope I can find the article you are speaking of. I read a similar one in the Feb. issue of Oprah's 'O' magazine so maybe attention is now moring toward reclusiveness and loneliness.
smile

[ February 23, 2005, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]