Y'know, Smile, I think there's a whole spectrum of housekeeping (quality/quantity) goin' on out there and I don't think it particularly matters one way or another in the grand scheme of things.

Some women I know have houses that are always spotless but they teeter on what I would call the edge of depression. I don't think housekeeping is fulfilling for anyone.

Personally, I skim. I keep it within sanitary range, but you're sure to find a flock of dustbunies if you look beneath the beds or in certain corners on certain days.

The more important question is -- what is your priority in life? If you take great pride in a sparkling toilet -- go for it with all the gusto you can give it. If, on the other hand, you can live with a bit of grime around the edges of your day and you would really rather volunteer at that foodbank or read that novel you've promised yourself you'd get around to reading ever since you were 15 -- then do those things instead.

What feeds your soul, dear one?

If you're walkin' around sendin' out warm fuzzies to others, no one on the planet worth their salt is gonna care WHAT the insides of your closets look like.

It's the type of person you are; the vision you radiate that you'll be remembered for and which will lead to the lasting things.

Way I figure, the stairs will just as surely still be dusty tomorrow if I don't get around to dusting them today (of course that's what kids are for! Ha!). All things in their time.

If you knew you'd die tomorrow would you spend today listening to a friend, reassuring a neighbor, visiting someone in a retirement home who has no one left to care about them or would you roll up you sleeves and scrub the back forty?

Why, I'll bet your place isn't bad at all. Release yourself from guilt. Do ONE thing each day and do it as early in the day as possible -- try two per day if you're ambitious and won't harrass yourself if you fall short of your goal or get sidetracked now and again.

Then, when you've accomplished one or two chores, be glad of it and go do something more meaningful with the rest of the time that is yours. Smile. Sing. You deserve it! And so do those caught in the wake of your passing. [Smile]