The organization I work for adopted a local school. Our executive director gives each of us an hour each week to go. Even with that, we only have about 1/4 of our staff going over there.

The reason I continue with it is because everyone at the school is incredibly appreciative. The teacher my boy has always has him write notes for me. The teacher gives me something for Chirstmas, my birthday, and National Volunteeer Appreciation Week. She invites me to dinner sometimes. She also nominated me for the Making a Difference Award, which I ended up receiving.

I also stick around with it because I see the results. When I first started working with Victor, he came to this country one month before, he knew no English, his Dad and him lived in one room of a townhouse with two other families and they had nothing. He was scared, shy, distraught about leaving his Mom and brothers and sisters in El Salvador. In almost three years, he has come such a long way. Him and his father. Knowing how much they needed, I had to step in for more than just one hour a week. I helped his father find a job and insurance, got Victor on a soccer team to boost his self-esteem and to get him in with a group of kids. The soccer thing has meant I have turned into a soccer mom a few weekends a month (his teacher and I switch off).

I know that even if I had kids, I would still do everything I do for him. Not because the school makes me feel so special, but because I know that I make a difference for this kid. It is so much fun to watch him succeed little by little. His mom was here for a short visit over the holidays and she cried when we met because she wanted to thank me for taking care of her boy while she is so far away. She had me crying.

I know that volunteering takes a lot of time and personal involvement, but it is so important. I can't imagine being as privledged as I am and not giving something back.

As far as having kids of your own, have them volunteer with you. It would be a great way to spend time with your children and a great lesson on civic and social responsibility for them to learn.