When I was growing up, we (mother, father, brother and I) lived with my maternal grandparents. My mother, father and grandfather worked full-time, and my grandmother was there for us. When she died (at 52) when I was 12, my mother stopped working for a few years and stayed home for us. Then, my grandfather had a heart attack and retired, so Mom went back to work, as he was there with us.

Having had the "luxury" of having a parent or grandparent home all the time, I must say that we managed it because there were always three of them working and that meant one could stay home. After Grandmom died and before Gramps started being there, things were pretty tight for a few years. When Gramps retired, he still got his paycheck and Mom and Dad both worked, so we had the best of all worlds.

I never had children of my own, but I would have wanted to stay home with them if I had. However, I don't think we could have afforded it. Things are so expensive these days (and I am just talking housing and food and clothing, not the extras) that I don't see how anyone can do that unless they are independently wealthy to begin with.

On the other hand, I see kids every day on my bus that don't have the benefit of having a parrent home all the time, and I am appalled at their behavior. It is downright maddening to see how they act.

So, I guess you just have to make the best decision for your family and go with it. It IS a conundrum, and I don't know just how I would handle it anymore. Drop back and punt, I guess.....