I have always known that when the time to have kids came, I would want to stay at home for the most part. My husband knows this and our compromise is that as long as one of us could be at home for the majority of the week, that would be good.

I have known this ever since my mom started to be a nanny. While I think she is a great person and the next best thing to someone's "real" parents, the parents still miss out on things. My mom gets to see them take their first steps or say their first words, and the parents don't. The thing is, those kids won't ever hear the stuff my mom knows about what they were like because she moves on to a new family once the kids go to school.

While I know what I want to do, I also feel incredibly guilty. I have a college education that many would feel would go to waste if I did not stay in the professional world. I think Dotsie makes a good point about the fact that there is a lot to be done in the home (With just a husband I feel overwhlemed at times!). She also makes a good point about what a switch is was for her and how isolated she felt, which is what I worry about too. While it is MANY MANY years away for me, I already feel disconnected from many of my friends at college because of being married and have branched out to other people I know because they are married or in more serious relationships.

But I do think if it is something you truly want to do and believe with all your heart it's what's best for your child, you can make it work. I would much rather be satisfied with seeing a happy, healthy child who learned something from me at the end of the day then to know I've contributed to the company bank.