As I said previously, for all those who are interested in fighting Stigma, go to NAMI, Stigmabusters. It's time all of us who suffer from depression, mental illness, etc... stick together and fight IGNORANCE.

I have been posting on this forum for a while now and have only found compassion, support, unity and the highest level of dignity among BWS sisters. I find it hard to believe that there would be anyone that would stoop as low as to hurt those seeking comfort in a time of need, by writing to their trusted friends. What's even stranger is to think someone would have a problem with a member discussing mental health on the MENTAL HEALTH FORUM!!! [Confused] That's why you can quote me - "It's feel's good, I'll keep coming back for more!"

And Chatty, you ask why I tell people I'm bipolar? It's because I'm not ashamed to be me. God loves me as I am. I don't have to hide the fact out of fear of judgement. With this voice I have many times reached out and helped others who are relieved to be comforted by someone who understands their pain because I've been in their shoes. If I can do for others what a select group of women on this forum have done for me, there is no question that my life will be greatly enriched.

Was Patty Duke ashamed to speak about her condition? Or Jane Pauly? Many have come out publicly and shared their life story to fight ignorance and help others who have the same illness. We no longer have to hide in a closet because of fear that society will attack us.

What's the big deal with being bipolar anyway? We're in good company. Take for example: Michelangelo, Beethoven, Lord Byron, Hans Christian Anderson, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Florence Nightingale, Leo Tolstoy, Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, Vincent Van Gogh, Winston Churchill, Virginia Woolf, Cole Porter, Francis Scott, F. Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, Bing Cosby, Tennessee Williams, to name a few. No shame in being in their company.

[ February 26, 2006, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: suzieq ]