My doctor once told me "if you had diabetes, you would take your insulin as prescribed wouldn't you?" I readily agreed with him and he said that taking medication to alleviate a chemical imbalance in the brain is no different from a drug taken to alleviate glucose imbalance in the body. Wow, that gave me a whole new way of thinking about having to take meds. I like some of the other women who responded to this post had NO REASON to be depressed. No one died, no one was sick, I was happily married, two great kids, etc. and yet I was forcing myself to get out of bed in the morning and attempt to be normal. I know that kind of depression is not the same as being depressed after a disturbing life change. I too, will probably be on some type of med for the rest of my life and I have learned to accept it. By the way, the reason the doctor pointed this out to me was that this was the third time I had tried to "cold turkey" and get off my med. I was in the throes of a horrible panic attack which scared all of my family, had to be taken to the hospital, etc. I never want to go through that ordeal again. I do not think drugs should be taken lightly and you should always question, question, question your caregivers to be sure you are being treated properly.