I'm so glad this post got started. There are so many great thoughts in here.

There was a time when I thought people should stop the moaning and groaning, pull themselves up by their boot straps and get it together for gosh sakes. What was with these people who were depressed? [Mad]

Then I was humbled in a very serious way. God had some work to do with me and it wasn't easy. I was in a car accident and suffered from post traumatic stress syndrome.

I lived in pain, didn't want to eat, cried, felt like I could't care for my children, couldn't sleep, and worried incessantly. What was wrong with me? I was happily married, had 3 healthy children, great friends, and until that time, loved life.

I pleaded with God to move the heavy, dark cloud and let the sun shine again.

Wasting away, in tears, pain, and total confusion, a dear friend came to the house picked me up and drove me to her therapist. I didn't want to get in the car because I thought I'd get sick on the way. My friend said that if I got sick, she'd pull over. Nothing ws stopping her.

Friends Heal Friends!

Long story short. I was clinically depressed, suffering from PTSS. Not only was I given an anti-depressant, before it was over, I was also given sleeping pills, and anti-anxiety pills.

Within a few days of starting the medication, the cloud started moving, I felt like eating, I had some hope that I could get my life back, and and perhaps an even better one.

Only had to take several sleeping pills, and a couple anti-anxiety pills, but I stayed on the anti-depressant for about 9 months. The doctor shared that you need to be on the medicine for at least as long as you were having bad feeling and thoughts. I had to train my brain to have healthier thoughts again.

It was amazing. It worked and I learned a huge lesson which I'm grateful for.

By the grace of God I've lived through several surgeries and my mom's death wondering if it was going to hit me again. Fortunately,it hasn't.

BUT, now I know there's help out there when it's needed. I also have been able to use my lesson to help others who've become depressed since. That's the best part.

Until that time in my life I wasn't a big believer in anti-depressants. Didn't understand mental health. I thought people were whiners, had to get a life, and any other judgmental thing you want to throw in.

I was taught compassion, and boy did I need to learn it in the mental health department!

Live and learn!