My ten year old son has ADHD and possibly a mood disorder. We held off on medication for a long time and tried other alternatives, which I believe do work for some. However, after holding off as long as we could, we made the decision, with the help of a psychologist and a psychiatrist, to put him on medication. I have never regretted this decision because we know he really needs it. He has been taking Adderal for almost two years and it has made a significant difference in his school work and other areas. This week I just learned about a new medication that has only been on the market for three weeks.
It is called Strattera. It is the first non-stimulent medication approved by the FDA for ADHD.It apparently has less side effects.
I spoke to my son's psychiatrist about this and he says he has been following the studies on this medication for several years. He believes that it is a good medication but he wants to wait awhile before he tries it with my son. He has several of his adult patients and adolescent patients trying it now and he wants to see how they do with it. If anyone has any feedback on the use of this new medicine, please let me know. Also, if anyone is interested in learning more about it, there is a website...www.strattera.com