I'm very sorry you have gone through this with your friend. Has she made contact with you recently? It's very interesting for me to hear this kind of story from your side of the fence because, I have not received any other insight into a personal situation that, in some ways, is similar.

Your friend sounds like she has no clue as to why you've withdrawn your friendship and is trying different tactics to get a response out of you. Wrong though it may be how she has conducted herself, she's scraping the barrel. Pretty soon, she will give up but I'd like to bet, that despite how she's hurt you, she's now feeling hurt herself and completely bewildered as to why you're no longer communicating with her.

I know another respondant said it's not nice hearing unpleasant things about yourself, so telling your friend of how she has incurred your displeasure is unwise. On the other hand, how is your friend supposed to learn from this if she has no idea what she has done/said wrong? Friends, ideally, should be able to address issues with each other with the goal of helping each other to become their best selves. Ignoring people, I feel, is counter productive and only creates unnecessary pain.

I am speaking from experience. Six years into a friendship, my friend drastically reduced responding to my communications. I’m talking like what was a letter a month, plus emails, IMs and text messages, went down to a letter a year and nothing else.

Concerned, I asked if something was wrong = silence.
I asked again = more silence.
I asked again = Denial that anything was wrong then subsequent silence.
More communications from myself = silence.
I asked again if something was wrong = Denial and annoyance that I asked the question more than once (like I should have known from the silence that everything was ok - ??? - actions speak louder than words).
I tried giving her space = silence.
I tried regular contact but was always afraid she felt I was harassing her = silence.

Yes, I've taken the hint that she no longer wants a friendship. Silence - what a cowardly way to go about it? Not only that, she has no intention of resolving what was wrong because she doesn't even want to discuss it, perhaps afraid of confrontation?

I have absolutely no idea what I have done/said to cause her to withdraw from our friendship. It's sad that she hasn't given me the opportunity to correct whatever wrong I've caused her and, in the least to apoligise and be sincere about it.

I have wanted to ask her, finally, if she wants me to stop communicating with her. I see there's no point anymore in my asking what's wrong since silence is her only response. I know she wants me to ‘go away quietly’ but, at the same time, I need her to tell me that. I don’t mind-read by default.

I'm deeply hurt that our friendship has ended like this and I've got to come to terms with its ending without understanding why. That is very difficult.

I miss her.

Thank you for reading.
Itza