Recently I have been reading and enjoying a new book by Carol Orsborn, called "Fierce With Age: Chasing God and Squirrels in Brooklyn."

It's her 21st book -- I can hardly believe she's written that many -- and it will be published as an ebook about a month from now -- then in hardcover in early May.

This is a fascinating book, and it not only resonates with me, but it keeps coming back to me during the day, as I go about my normal activities.

Carol says "Fierce with Age: Chasing God and Squirrels in Brooklyn" is the story of a tumultuous year she spent transiting into "the wild space beyond midlife."

She writes that she suddenly realized that she had become something else entirely than the person (or as she calls it, "brand and identity") that had defined her over her prior six decades.

This is interesting, since she'd accomplished a lot during that time, including a doctorate in religion and status as Boomer marketing expert and author of bestselling books.

The book describes how, during a year in which she and her husband moved from their comfortable canyon home in California to a penthouse in New York City, she came to realize that she had changed, and in some ways, become invisible. Also, she seemed to have lost her ability to talk to God...

Additionally, she found that she was living in a spiritual desert: She was angry, she was self-pitying, she was vain and whining. And she realized that despite all the books she had written on aging successfully, she actually still harbored ingrained fears and prejudices about the aged. Which meant that realizing her more mortality brought on a feeling of hopelessness.

As a result of her efforts to re-orient herself, she turned to books written by scholars, sages and mystics on spirituality and aging, while at the same time becoming inspired by taking her squirrel-hunting dog Lucky to teh park.

Eventually she came to appreciate aging as the initiation of a fresh life stage bearing with it all the hallmarks of all the previous life stages combined: the high anticipation, the celebration and the bold, outright terror.

Some would say she embraced her inner crone, though I don't think she ever puts it that way...

It's a thought-provoking book, and I can't wait for it to be published, so every Boomer woman can read it.

Meanwhile, let's talk: Who else is feeling this way? Right now on Facebook, several of our BWS members are discussing the frustrations of going to the store and not remembering to buy everything needed.

What else bothers you about aging these days? Let's talk about it here...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com