I've lived in shared housing for the past 4 years. I was 53 when I left my former husband. It was scary knowing my self-employed income REALLY wouldn't allow me to live on my own. AND I didn't have any savings as a 'cushion'. So I lived in shared housing.

In the beginning, it was really different to be living with people who weren't family. I enjoyed the folks I lived with but it it was really challenging for my psyche. Mostly it was my own dissatisfaction of not having my OWN place. As an adult I've been a homeowner since I was in my early 20's.

I lived in shared housing except for a short sabbatical when I took my own studio apartment this past summer I've shared housing. Just needing a break to figure out my next steps, I found an inexpensive studio apartment this past summer. A bit off the beaten path but cute.

When winter came the combination of cadet wall heaters, living on the ground floor in an uninsulated apartment AND arriving home late nights to a COLD house really made me rethink things.

I spent a lot of time AWAY from 'home' the during the fall and winter just trying to stay warm. I realized I worked so much that having a place of my own really wasn't cost effective. The location seemed FAR even if it was inexpensive. AND I was basically just coming home to sleep or spend a few hours during the weekend getting my bearings.

At Christmas time, I found myself looking at a couple of other 'challenges' and decided to tally everything up:

[list]
[*]Hardly Ever Home
[*]Too Cold [*]Traveling a LOT to make the rounds for work [*]Inexpensive didn't equal Quality [*]My lifestyle had definitely changed in the past 4 years

Living alone wasn't adding up. So I dusted off my living alone strategy and looked at my options. About a month ago I downsized my things yet again and moved to a home that fits my needs and my lifestyle.

Being somewhere warm, being able to spend more time 'at home' because I'm not on the road ALL the time either travelling or avoiding a cold house. And this week, after a bout with the flu, I realized another benefit.

Not hearing me leave for work in the morning as I always do on Monday, I could hear my housemates tiptoeing around my door. Light knocking. Checking in amidst my feverishness. Cold water and ibuprofen was fetched. Pacing. Hushed voices. Even as terrible as I felt there was a wash of grateful. Which I expressed when I roused.

I was coddled and nested. Protected. Looked after. Nice!

My tallying and choices added up to something much more! I'm enjoying a little looking after if just a light knock or 'sweet dreams' being called out to me at the end of the day. I'm glad I made a little room in my life for MORE.

Here's a link to a quick read about other folks who are thinking shared housing might just be a good idea. http://www.letssharehousing.com/content/there-always-room

Lets Share Housing
Personal Assistant & Shared Housing Advocate
503-719-5444 PST