Anne, I wish I was smarter in some serious way because I cannot think of anything we can do unless we start to come together as a society. Everyone seems to have their favorite theory: video games, movies, the NRA, the liberals, the conservatives, the mentally ill, and on and on.

To me, it's a bit of everything. There's no clear differentiation between the good guys and the bad guys but we keep pretending there is. Yes, I know the vast majority of people will not shoot and kill someone, but most of our 'ordinary' shootings are not the result of lunatics. They are from people who lose their tempers, who want to settle scores, who handle guns unsafely, and yes, outright criminals.

We seem to keep thinking there will be a magic bullet but we already have over 300 million guns in circulation in the US. Maybe I'm stupid here, but the proliferation of guns doesn't seem to be stopping anyone from domestic violence or road rage or getting back at someone or whatever.

In fact, we have now started blaming the victims: "She should have had a gun," "The teachers should be armed," "there should be someone in the movie theater armed," etc. Oh, so now it's our fault for getting in the way of the shooters.

Did you know there's a growing movement that says Sandy Hook was a hoax? That Adam Lanza was hired by Obama or some leftist to give the gun grabbers some leverage? I'm serious about this. A man right down the road from the school who took in some traumatized kids and their bus driver is now being hounded as some Jew liar (I'm sorry for the language, but there's no point in pretending.) The haters are out in full force.

What on earth have we come to? Remember back when those anti-segregation creeps bombed that church and killed those little girls? As I recall, the entire nation stopped and wept for that level of depravity. No matter what one thought about desegregation, we were not going to sacrifice our children or our churches to hate. And we changed: slowly, but we changed.

But now, look at us: We had EIGHT killings last year resulting in the death of at least 4 people. We have had 62 such killings since 1982, not counting the 87 or so nameless people who get killed every day. The only thing that has made us start to pay attention was 20 children getting killed. We sure haven't wasted too much time on all the grownups who get picked off; didn't these people have families? Weren't they part of communities?

The NRA just released a shooting app for kids. Isn't that nice? All we can think about is that we need to arm our teachers because they don't have enough to do and we need to impeach the president. I honestly wish he would not sign any executive orders because, even if they are profoundly sensible, they will only inflame people even more. Maybe we could try and be a little nicer; I don't know what to do.