Hi Jabber,

I wanted to comment on your discussion of dogs as related to Obama and Romney. I agree that it is inhumane to crate a dog on the top of a car and drive off. And I also agree that here in the mainland US, we do not eat dogs.

But when I heard that President Obama said that he had eaten dog once, I recalled that both dogs and hogs were protein sources in the traditional Hawaiian diet.

Here's a reference to it that I found on a website called "Alternative Hawaii."

This site . and in a section on "Hawaii's Mixed Plate" I read the following:

Quote:

THEN
The Hawaiian word for health is ola. It also means life. Thus, the word health and life was one and same. Hawaiians obviously believed you could not have health without life, nor life without health. Ka poe kahiko (the old people of Hawaii) regarded the body, mind and spirit as one.

Each affected the condition of the other. If you abuse your body, you abuse your spirit and mind, and so on. Being healthy meant being physically, mentally and spiritually in lokahi or harmony. Source: Noted Hawaiian Scholar, Dr. George Kanahele, Pookela Hawaiian Culture Course.

Ancient Hawaiians were strong, sturdy and capable of bearing great fatigue. They were farmers, fishermen, hunters, and gatherers who enjoyed a diversity of foods.

For example, they planted and irrigated taro patches; cultivated crops such as yams, arrowroot, or breadfruit; hunted birds and pigs; gathered vines, ferns, herbs and medicinal plants from the forests; practiced both net and deep sea fishing; harvested shrimp, picked seaweed, and collected shellfish.

Their main sources of protein were fish, squid, limpet, crab and other seafood, chicken, and birds. The main leafy vegetables were taro tops (luau), and edible plants such as tree fern and fan palm. They ate bananas, coconuts, raspberries, strawberries, mountain apples and sugar cane. Seasonings came from kukui nut, seaweed, hoio fern and salt. They preserved food with salt and most foods were eaten fresh. They ate dogs and the alii (royalty) ate pig.

The part in BF italic is my doing, to highlight the reference to dogs.

I was fairly sure dogs were eaten by native Hawaiians, having read NABBW member Linda Ballou's wonderfully well-researched book, "Wai-nani: High Chiefess of Hawaii, Her Epic Journey," so therefore I wasn't offended by Obama's statement.

I just figured he probably ate dog while participating in some traditional Hawaiian event, given that he spent his early years there. And thus, I wasn't offended by his statement.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com