I want to buy a really good vacuum cleaner sometime soon. Our current home has a central vac system, but I don't think it cleans as well as my old vacuum, which I'd be using except the motor burnt out. (I'd have the motor replaced, except that the darn thing was a bit heavy and awkward. It DID Have a HEPA filter and cyclonic action, and you could always see how full the dirt collection canister was, so it was easy to know when to empty it.)

A few weeks ago I asked a friend of mine, who runs a resort home cleaning service, what brands he found most useful. Thing is, he told me two brands, and I don't remember which they were...

I have been thinking of getting a Dyson Ball machine. I've heard they work really well, but are quite pricey...

Although, if they actually worked and are quiet, a Roomba, those cute little robotic things that run themselves might be nice....

Here's a link I just searched out for best vacs on the market in 2012.

Oh, and yes, I have a Red Devil and another similar model that is made of metal, not plastic. But as you say, Jabber, those things are REALLY loud.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com