Originally Posted By: jabber
I know a person doesn't have to be overweight to have Diabetes; my MIL was petite and slender. I kept forgetting she had this problem. The Chinese are so slim and yet isn't rice a staple in China? Go figure! Actually all three people I mention in the above post died. Diabetes is a nasty disease.

Yes, rice is a staple in China; so are noodles. BUT so far -- and China is changing and getting heavier as well -- they do not eat rice and potatoes and pasta and hamburgers and chips and sweets all the time.

A diet that is heavy on vegetables, small amouts of meat and rice or noodles IS eating in balance and moderation. I think we just eat everything, and eventually develop tastes for way too much food and too many of the wrong kinds of food. Plus, we don't exercise regularly, making what do already do even worse.

A sobering thought: they are estimating that of babies born today, 1 of every every 3 will develop diabetes. That's an awful lot of people. We need to decide that taking care of ourselves is not some sort of punishment.