I have a good friend who was diagnosed with diabetes many years ago. Fortunately, he is among the people who take the diagnosis seriously. He lost about 30 pounds, tracks his blood sugars, and avoids the gooey sweet stuff absolutely. I have seen been with him at plenty of potlucks; he makes dessert out of the fruit and nothing else. I really admire the fact that he has learned how to live a full but controlled life. (I mean, don't we all have to control ourselves to enjoy good health?)

I have to say I'm really disappointed in Paula Deen's defensiveness about her own diabetes, and I really like her. I realize that she has had to give it all some thought because she's not famous for being a mystery writer or a financial whiz; she's a cook. BUT a lot of the stuff she cooks isn't even suitable as an occasional treat. It's not moderation when everything is loaded with butter and sugar. She says you can have a piece of cake, not a whole cake, which is true. BUT a piece of cake is not a huge wedge; it's a sliver. I honestly think a lot of people have no idea what moderation is. Is it once a week? Once a day? Once a month? She's certainly not the only one pushing things we should avoid except for special occasions, of course. I do know how easy it is to decide that just this once won't hurt, and then it becomes a habit.

The weird thing is that she's so popular that she could have become the Cooking Queen of Diabetes. After all, that style of eating works for just about anyone. I agree with her that we are all responsible for ourselves, but in her case, I think the responsible thing to do is not what she does.

Anne, I find it really interesting that taking better care of yourself in general has been a bigger help than anything else. You and my friend are great testimonies that we're not helpless and that we can do a lot to help outselves. As I'm getting older I'm trying to keep up with exercising so I don't fall apart and keep my energy levels up. And I'm definitely trying to up my vegetables and decrease my portions.