I was surprised to catch a segment of the NBC Today show this morning in which Food Network Chef Paula Deen talked about her personal diagnosis with Type 2 diabetes.

I had not heard the rumors about this, though I've now read that they've been circulating on the web for a couple of years now.

In the segment above, she talks about how she decided to keep the diagnosis quiet when she first received it, because she had nothing helpful to say about it.

No doubt because she also didn't know how word of the diagnosis would impact her cooking empire!

I can understand this. I know that when I was first diagnosed, a few years ago, I was in shock - and denial. I definitely wondered how this could have happened to me.

Actually, I was about to head off on a cruise the week I was diagnosed, and I freaked out - convinced that there would be nothing safe for me to eat on the ship. Thankfully I was able to speak with a dietician right away, who educated me on what foods I could eat -- which definitely calmed those fears.

These days I manage my disease primarily with proper diet and exercise. Oh, I do take a pill daily -- but so far I have no need for insulin.

For me, the diagnosis was the culmination of a whole constellation of health challenges - lack of sleep, lack of exercise, and eating too many sweets.

I've made more changes to my sleep and exercise habits than I have made changes to my diet. Though I have to admit that I ate a lot of sugary treats for the energy they provided, since I was so tired. So now that I get enough sleep, I have lost my craving for candy. I'm amazed that I can now drive for hours without becoming drowsy. I used to stock the car with licorice and hard candies - just to keep me awake!

Anyone else have Type 2 diabetes experience you'd like to share? Especially stories about diagnosis as a mature adult? Please share them here!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com