Quote:
We taught our son to respect money -- not for itself but for what it represented.

That's a good plan, Sandy. And I don't think it is always easy to teach.

I come from a long line of self-employed people, Sandy, so I think that makes it easier to "get" the lesson you gave your son.

My maternal great-great grandfather owned a brewery in Madison, Wisconsin. (Don't know anything about my great-great on my Dad's side, that man never left Norway.)

Both of my grandfathers were self-employed -- my paternal grandfather was a painting contractor, and my maternal grandfather, of course, I already mentioned was a doctor.

My Dad is an engineer, and when I was really little he worked for others, but when I was in junior high he started his own consulting business. He still consults some now, even at 81, because he has clients who just won't let him retire. (Plus, I think he enjoys "keeping a hand" in the working world... )

So all of my life I have had living examples of people who worked for their income... It's a great lesson. Taught me that I could have anything I wanted, as long as I was willing to work for it.

Anne
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com