My kids learned about divorce in day care -- well before they went to school. I used a home-based daycare run by a woman in the neighborhood, so it was a small group. Regardless, there were several children with divorced parents.

The kids took it all in stride and just seemed to think it was normal.

When Bill and I divorced, Jen was 5 and Zach 2. I was very concerned about having to tell them we were separating, and the marriage counselor assured me that a 2 year old would not need to be told. That he wouldn't notice.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! He did notice.

One incident that will live with me forever happened when I was trying to put Zach down for a nap shortly after we'd separated. He wouldn't stay down, until I finally agreed to nap with him, and we both settled down on my bed.

I of course, intended to get up as soon as he was asleep. Over the course of the nap, he kept stealthily moving closer to me, until he managed to stick one leg out so that it touched my thigh. This was his security alert.

As long as I stayed put, he was able to sleep. But once I moved away from him, the nap was over.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com