Oh girlfriend...please wait if you can. I had the same problem and now that I am post-menopausal (you can tell by my sweetness, kindess and of course my humbleness)things have gone back to normal. In the late stages of menopause, my hair started coming out as well. Along that same timeframe, I had a really bad car wreck, my Daddy died, my Mother came down with breast cancer, and I quit smoking in the middle of it. The "culprit" was either stress....which is very likely, or the meds I was on for acid reflux AND the pain meds.

Once things got better, and life resume it's roll on a more even keel, the hair came back and thicker than ever. I can't say for sure it was a) meds, b) stress, or c) menopause...but it MAY come back. I hate to see you go to the expense of a transplant if it's going to come back anyway.

How long did my hair keep falling out? About six months. I look like Donald Trump gone bad. Then it slowly, but surely started growing again, and the gaps were filled in. I know from whence you speak...it is very devastating! Especially if you've always had a head full of thick hair, like me and you.

Got stress?
Got Menopause?
Got Meds?

Any of these could be causing it. Can you cut back on the meds? Can you somehow learn to cope with the stress? Can you wait and WIN over menopause? You have my sympathy!

Hope this helps give you some hope!

JJ