Oh, no argument from me. But how often do people react to a human's death with, "Oh, it's for the best," or my personal nonfavorite: "he's in a better place now." I know that the people who say this are trying for something comforting, but it can really sound dismissive. I have even heard people say they 'got over' a parent's death in a few weeks and don't understand why someone else is mooning on about her mother's death.

I know it's not the same thing and the topic is the bereavement at the loss of a pet, but often we seem to miss each other's signals and needs. Sometimes we just need for someone to say, "I'm so sorry you lost ____," -- no waving it away as no big deal or deciding we should be happy or relieved.

And I think that was Chatty's point: losing a pet can be and is a big deal. I sure miss some of mine*, even if I knew it was their time to go. The silly cat sleeping on my legs really makes me laugh with her antics; I hope she's around for a long time.

*Well, I miss all of them, but some weren't around that long. I feel their loss but not as much as the ones we had for 15 years. Their loss is what might have been.

Edited by Ellemm (01/06/11 03:00 PM)