My advice would have been a little different. Actually, I think what your friend did was kind of awful. Did she want the girl gone or did she want her to pay her own way? I see no reason to 'pretend' to be nice when you are actually asking someone to leave. Just do it already. But even if your friend resented it, she allowed her stepdaughter to come into her home as a guest. It's her own fault for letting someone take advantage of her. The time to change things should have been before she showed up or before she got in the door.

I just think that once you let someone occupy a bedroom, particularly if you have done it in the past, you have extended your hospitality and the other person has a right -- even if that person is a user -- to think things will go as they have in the past. If I went to someone's home thinking I was a guest and my hostess demanded money for my stay, I'd be out of there in a shot. But I'd be mostly angry that she changed the 'rules' on me without telling me ahead of time.

Yeah, I'm glad your friend finally stood up for herself, but she did it in about the worst way possible. I think she really should have just refused her entrance in the first place and told her the truth. I know she doesn't like the girl, but she really missed her chance to give her some guidance about being a guest and taking advantage of people. Quiet words might have still left her unhappy but might have stuck in her head. Now she will just think your friend went a little crazy -- after all, she did let her in -- and threw her out, and won't think about her own behavior at all.

Edited by Ellemm (09/02/10 03:58 PM)