For years, I've had a weird problem...and it took me many years before that to make the connection. For as long as I can remember, I've had problems with the corner of my mouth. I'd get a teeny tiny cut, which would then get infected, and take quite a while to heal. For a long time, I just thought they were cold sores, but eventually I realized that the problem happened every time I used a soup spoon (ie, larger than a teaspoon). So I did my own testing, and sure enough, the cut only appeared after using a soup spoon. So I stopped using them at home (we use Chinese soup spoons now), and try as much as possible to not use them when eating out. And I haven't had a cut on my lip for a long time.

Last week, we were served an amazing seafood chowder at a friend’s house. It was too hard to eat with a teaspoon, so I reluctantly switched to a soup spoon. Despite being very careful with it, I still woke up the next morning with another infected cut on the corner of my mouth. It’s now a week later, and despite much careful treatment, it’s still there, still infected, and still painful. My whine is that I wonder when I’ll ever learn to respect my body and its limitations and stop doing the things that I know will hurt it. Grrrrr.

(Maya Angelou)