Originally Posted By: Lola
London enacted by-laws banning the consumption of alcohol in public transport when the incumbent Mayor of London came to office as weekend binge drinking did give rise to loutish behaviour but, that's as far as restriction goes. Whilst the link was the reaction to the ban, it is strictly observed now and I would presume it would hold for the duration of the Olympics in 2012. It is highly unlikely though that they would restrict drinking in public parks and other open spaces whether the event is family-oriented or not. It would be good if they did as it only takes one lout to disrupt a wholesome affair. As to Olympic venues, I reckon, alcohol would still be served within the premises and those in charge would just have to exercise due diligence as to control.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4043853.ece

International and club football matches over here are generally peaceful although there have been fracas at big fixtures. There's just something about the game that makes people lose their heads. In the same way that streakers are compelled to run buck naked at football, cricket and tennis matches over here.

The latest on the BBC broadcast today was that Londoners would only get to see most of the games on TV as 80% of the tickets will be allocated to corporate sponsors and national team representatives. The 20% will be a scramble between the British and other EU citizens on account of commonality between Member States.

You reckon more folks in Vancouver will start using the public transport system from hereon? They have proposed banning Londoners from using their cars for the duration of the Olympics. I only hope that the public transport system is able to deliver by then. We had a severe disruption to rail services today on account of fire within the vicinity of London Bridge, which pretty much derailed (pun intended) and delayed travel into town.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/olympics/2323935/London-Olympics-to-ban-cars-in-2012.html

Hope the transit authorities plan things well in London area. I know your city's push includes those who can cycle, to cycle in London aread during the Olympics. With some road closures downtown, cycling was actually more peaceful in downtown Vancouver. One just had to understand the different street changes and avoid high pedestrian traffic areas. Not a big deal. I know London has a large active cycling group of different stripes there. (Actually my partner met one of the London cycling leading advocates to talk about their stuff. There's a photograph of me cycling in Vancouver in one of the London cycling magazines. This was about 3-4 yrs. ago.)

Wow, I can't believe drinking booze was allowed on public transit in London. It is not allowed for alot of municipalities at all in British Columbia and Ontario. It happens but the police can lay charges. It's just foreign to see someone secretively swilling away on their beer or bottle of rye on a bus or train..which I've seen the occasional twerp do this since i have used transit alot (commuter trains, buses and subways) over the past few decades. They get glares from other passengers.

I'm so glad that our bylaws outlaw drinking on public transit and on public benches, etc. It's been this way for decades. And also in Ontario. Sure laws get broken, people sneak around, but it is strongly discouraged/frowned upon. Otherwise there will be more broken bottles, garbage and vomit on such premises. Transit drivers don't need to deal with that type of drunk stuff, they have other problems from the public. I see enough of it as a cyclist by the side of roads occasionally. It's enough to deal with soda pop cans, bottles, and other garbage.

I should add that liquor controls are good because it also prevents people from throwing cans and bottles around too in public places. Dangerous. I heard some cyclists who have had glass bottles thrown at them. Also to control the teenagers who are bored and hang out in parks, shopping malls.

As for the tickets, i think there was a reserve for corporate sponsors, etc. What was unpleasant was that the Olympic organizers allowed the ticket scalping to go on. People were allowed to buy batches of tickets and resell at double, triple the prices. And people were willing to buy some scalped tickets. Mind boggling --ie. $1,000 for 1 gold medal men's hockey game as an example of a random scalped ticket.