Di...this subject isn't about the other days of the year...it is about our partner taking the time to do something 'special' on a 'special day' in which cards/chocolate/flowers/gifts/dates, etc. are part of Valentine's day.
Some partners do great. others' don't care. And then others are too lazy and dont' want to be be bothered. Our spouses fall into one of these categories.
To me it's important and I let my hubby know that. The good thing about my hubby is he responded and that says so much about him and how he feels about me. Larry's biggest deal was he just didn't like 'taking the time', but he now does because I've reminded him of all the things that I take the time to do for him every day...We women don't ask for much...but on certain occasions I think it's important to do these things...If it's not in your culture, that's fine.
To have a bag of hersheys kisses thrown in their spouses lap and told 'happy valentine's', even larry said that was pretty insensitive. That was not cool at all.
Just my opinion.