Di, my hubby and I don't do much on holidays. I have more "stuff" than I need, and cards can cost $5 sometimes - and then do you keep them, toss them?

I think it's more important to me if he does the little stuff, like surprise me with a hug from behind while I'm cooking dinner, or tell me how nice I look as I'm heading out for a meeting. Granted, he doesn't do much of this often, but it feels great when he does.

He doesn't like to express his feelings, and we've been together for more than 30 years. He told me once, "I love you, and if I ever change my mind I'll let you know" It's really hard for him to say 'I love you', for some reason, or to show any feelings at all.

I have learned that he does the best he can and my biggest gratitude is that he accepts me with all my mood swings and new job ideas, and getaways with the girls. The day to day is more important than the holiday, for us.

Plus, I'm kind of a tightwad. I don't do expensive jewelry becaues I'm afraid I'll lose it, and flowers are lovely when you get them, until you get the credit card bill for $60 the following month. I guess I'm not much of a romantic either, so maybe we're a good match overall. If I tried to 'guilt' him into doing something or buying a gift for me, I wouldn't like to know he only did it for that reason. If he does get me something or do something for me, he does it from his own heart, not from guilt feelings I've put on him.

It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round, doesn't it? Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!

K