Originally Posted By: Lola
You're so lucky your town is hosting the Winter Olympics and that Vancouver is bigger than London. What is disruption like to community life over there? My town will host the equestrian events in 2012. I am not entirely jubilant about it because it means tearing up the Royal Park in my borough...the community will also have restricted access to the parks in a few months when they start doing so.

Read your post about the exclusive transaction on purchase/sale of bottled water from Coca-Cola. My grandson intends to put up a bottled water and cold drinks stall when the Olympics hit his town in 2012. I wonder whether the same agreement with Coca-Cola would be applied over here. He has also made enquiries about setting up a stall on souvenir items and is still waiting for a reply.

You know if I had any interest in past Olympics, it was the Summer Olympics. In the past 10 yrs., I only paid casual attention. Beijing I ignored it completely. You have to understand, I'm out on the bike when the weather is so good for us then in the summer.

Tearing up Royal Park, means what? For building a permanent or temporary facility? We have such a park close by that is normally used for soccer, etc. For Olympics, transformed into several pavilions and concert stage, etc. We haven't even gone yet, since the lineups have been huge. Better to do it during the week. It's right beside an elementary school and daycare. It is a headache for residents when a whole neighbourhood is transformed..since traffic has to be rerouted. Most likely some of your roads must be closed partially or set aside to deal with a wide river of pedestrians/spectators. We do now have to plot cycling in the early morning..if this rain will go away.

There have been 1,000 security cameras added all over the city for public gathering spots. Abit of controversy if the city can ensure the will be all removed. I wrote about my impressions:
http://cyclewriteblog.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/duct-taping-an-olympic-host-city-for-security-2/

We have police from local cities plus all across Canada. There was a lottery held where police officers wanting to work at the olympics, had to apply and there was semi-draw or whatever. I know this via someone i know who works for the police dept. in Ontario.

Good idea your son is exploring what is required to sell certain products now. The waste of plastic bottles is an issue. I personally don't drink bottled water unless I am in a rural/isolated area and only if the water is not good-tasting, etc. My rationale is that we are fortunate to live in Canada with high probability of clean tap water in most towns and cities. It's when one goes out in the wilderness where it's important to take bottled water. When I cycle, I just put tap water in my bike water bottle.

But I'm a coffee drinker and natural juice drinker when I'm hot/exercising. It's just me. smile smile

But it's all temporary. So best to enjoy the better parts of it. I've been disappointed by several pavilions so far. Not much information..just touch screens, virtual games, snacks and some booze with info. on trade /business strengths. I wondered how earth children could enjoy this. The pavilion on Northwest Territories, Yukon and Nunavut, our 3 Canadian Arctic territories, is the best one so far.

There are many cultural events here...about 70% are ticketed, paid events. But there's other stuff, we hope to explore if we get past those line-ups. For instance, I hope to get into the art gallery here for free since this offer is part of the Olympics ...there are some exhibits (Leonardo da Vinci, West coast alternative art, etc.). Normally it costs $14.00 per person to get in.

The luge athlete death must be a terrible shock to the family. It is a risky sport.

Opening ceremonies: I liked large parts of it. It did weave iconic symbols and things about Canada...ie. the starry spirit bear...is evocative of the real and rare albino bear that exists here along the coast of British Columbia. It is not a polar bear. It is smaller and not as white. lives in the dense temperate rainforests in an area that is very wild and largely uninhabited. I also liked the evocation of salmon (very west coast and was abundant until overfishing/environmental problems), whales and then transforming into ravens, eagles ..soaring thick douglas fir trees..it really can be like that in certain areas at certan times of the year.

I also enjoyed Nellie Furtado and Bryan Adams singing their song and tapping on the virtual vibrating image of a large floor drum surface. Very cool and that motif carried over with the dancing and beating of the First Nations and aboriginal groups that came out...

We watched on tv. Did not buy tickets to see it...just 1 block down the street.