I chose to put this in menopause because it seems to coincide with mid-life thoughts and reflections.

I was reminded again today while reading an article that I am not the only one who did, and/or still fills my time with activities and volunteer work because I SHOULD!

While raising my children I chose to do volunteer work because I SHOULD, since my children were involved. You know, give a little back for the sake of the program, church, school, pool, rec. council,...fill in the blank.

I have also spent time saying, "I COULD have done such and such, but didn't because I rationalized:
timing wasn't perfect,
didn't want to afford it,
the kid's desires were more important than mine, I'd have to get a sitter,
what if blah, blah, blah happened...
and the list goes on.

Through journaling and prayer I have decided we are more content when we choose to do what aligns with our God-given gifts. Yes, still voulunteer, but do what best suits you and not the left-overs just because no one else will do it and you SHOULD.

It has worked better for me when I ask myself if I am doing it because I SHOULD, or because I feel called to do it?

And as far as all the COULD HAVES, when things come up now that I think I would like to do..
I am more inclined to go with Nike's slogan and "JUST DO IT".

Anyone else at mid-life experiencing these types of changes?

It's very liberating! [Big Grin]

[ July 13, 2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]