I feel there is no sense in bragging, because you never know when your circumstances will change. I've worked full time since the age of 15, and have had to start over a few times in my life.

Since my last full time job folded a few years ago, I have been fortunate for the first time in my entire life to be at home without having to worry where my next meal would be coming from.

My estranged "baby" sister, who never worked until she was forced to get a job and start supporting herself in her 40s, had always criticized my decades of full time night nursing, saying that I was money-hungry and left my child to work so I could have “fancy things” like a house and a car. lol (She lived with my parents, then on the government dole, and then having my older sister support her for a long time.)

When I tried to explain that I was putting my then-husband through college and that I wanted a modest home and a better life than our family had growing up in tenement projects, she scoffed and continued the name-calling, while saying that she would NEVER leave her own child to go out and make money.

I guess you call that reverse-bragging. lol

Yes, my husband (who still works full time) and I have a lovely life right now, but we each know that it could all be gone in a second. If and when that happens, we’ll both live in a rooming house if need be, and if God allows it, we’ll take care of each other as best as we can.

My 54 yr old sister, who has chosen to live in a studio apartment in a bad neighborhood, works 2-3 days a week as a nurse to afford her rent, utilities, and 2 religious trips to Europe each year. She says she does not need to work more days per week for “things,” because "God will provide."

When I mentioned that she may want to consider working a tiny bit more to have health care insurance, she said, “ Why should I? If I get seriously ill, there are enough programs out there.”

All that being said, I think some people who brag are scared about the future period. Some do it because they are ignorant. And some are like my baby sister, who take what they can from others for as long as possible, but do little to help themselves.

I will never be retired from volunteerism and from using my survival instincts when needed. We each have to choose our own path, with the knowledge that it could all change at any time.

Life is like that. That's for sure!