I had a complete hysterectomy in June of 1996 after fighting uterine fibroid tumors for years. My periods had been growing heavier and more painful. Then I started passing these huge clots, some up to 3 inches in diameter. Then the clots started damming up inside and causing even more cramping until suddenly they would pass and I would ruin whatever clothing I had on with no advance notice. When I started staying home from work on the days I was on my period, it finally convinced my doctor that I might look into surgery. Prior to that, they had tried Estrace, and other alternative remedies, none of which worked for me.
I have never regretted that surgery. The doctor did it vaginally, so I had no incisions or scars, and was up and walking that evening after surgery. As soon as my urinary catheter was out, I was up and walking all over the hospital. They had to hunt for me to give me meds and check my blood sugars. I was out of the hospital and went to stay with my mother for a week before going home. I didn't really need that, but it was a nice little vacation time to spend with my parents.
I had little pain after leaving the hospital. During my hospital stay, I used a PCA (patient controlled anesthesia) pump with Demerol. I don't think I ever did use the entire dose.
I wish all surgeries could be as easy as that one was.