Originally Posted By: Anne327
Josie, at $8.00 per pack, assuming 2 packs a day, that's $16 per day, or....times 365 days per year: $5,840!!! per year to spend on a toxic drug that KILLS.

If that is not enough incentive to make anyone quit, I don't know what is!

Intellectually, I totally agree with you, Anne. It makes absolutely no sense for anyone to smoke for ANY reason.

Yet I remember a time when I would pick up a used cigarette butt FROM THE STREET, rather than go without that "fix" of nicotine. The only cardinal rule I had was that I would not commit an illegal act to afford cigarettes. Yet many people would do ANYTHING to get nicotine.

Money means absolutely nothing when you are going through nicotine withdrawal. As hard as that is to understand, it's reality for many who are seriously addicted to this drug.

Heck, as a nurse, I unconsciously lit 2 cigarettes and had them both in my mouth as I watched my own mother take her last breath in an ICU at age 59 from heart disease and complications of long term tobacco use. (I was near so much oxygen and could have blown everyone up)

Money meant nothing, my health meant nothing.....as long as I could have cigarettes by my side. I never thought I would EVER be able to quit....until the day I did.

Everyone who has a serious addiction to nicotine or any other addictive substance has the potential for quitting. But the solution for each is different, depending on the individual.

I wish I knew how to explain it better......