I completely agree with Eagle. You will be happier if you learn to set boundaries. I do with Dennis, who wants me to retire and be at his beck and call all day. I refuse, and he knows I mean it. This is the only way that the two of us can have any type of real relationship.

I did the same for my Mother for the past few months. She would have loved it if I had stopped by each evening after work. I simply said No, that I would see her each Friday (I cut down to 4 days a week at work) and every Sunday. I would call her 2 times a week. She knew that I meant it, and was very nice about it.

I believe that you really need to mean what you say. Tell your family that they can only call you with good news. Refuse to listen to any mean messages. Perhaps tell them you will only answer the phone during the hours of 7 and 8pm. Then do that.

I know, these are my ways of dealing with life, and all of it's craziness. Each of us is different. But I made a decision when Dennis first got sick, that I would choose happiness over being miserable any day. I work at it. Some days it is very difficult, but for me, at least, it is possible.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com