Anyone who has read my book might recall Basil. Basil is a priest, a much-beloved friend and one of the most significant people in my life. There just aren't enough words to adequately express how very precious Basil is, not only to me but to everyone who has ever met him.

I just came back from a trip to Nova Scotia, and had the opportunity to spend time with Basil. Basil has Lou Gehrig's disease and is almost completely physically incapacitated. He is bed-ridden, can no longer speak and communicates mostly by writing (also uses eyes and hand signals).

The reason I'm sharing is because despite being bedridden and incapacitated, Basil continues to live, breathe, communicate and radiate the Presence of God. Being in that room with him was like walking on Sacred Ground (I still don't want to wash my socks...LOL). It was amazing...I wept, not because of how this terrible disease has ravaged this precious man's body, but because when I kissed his cheek, I felt like I had kissed the face of God.

Just those few moments in his presence brought such immense inspiration, peace and sense of Presence. Sacred Space...we can never underestimate the power of God even in the midst of what to some might seem like empty powerlessness.

I didn't want to cover up Gims' post in the prayer section, but would ask anyone who is so inclined to keep Basil in prayer, not only that he will find rest from this horrid disease, but that he will continue to be a beacon of Presence and hope through his devotion to intercessory prayer and his desire to continue to be a conduit of God's love and Presence even from within his incapacitation.

(Maya Angelou)