First, let me share how much I hate the dentist. I'd rather go to any doctor in the world than go to a dentist.

My childhood dentist worked on my mouth without novacaine. I remember gripping those arm rests and boosting my butt out of the chair everytime he hit a nerve. It was awful.

Then to top it off, as an adult, I once had a dentist who couldn't get my mouth numb. I was in and out of his chair for about an hour and a half, never having the work done. He kept giving me more shots, even had another dentist come try. My legs were shaking, heart pounded and fluttered and I was a wreck. I eventually went home, and when I explained to Ross what went on, he put me on the couch and had me prop my feet up to relax. He said I was having a reaction to the epinephrine and cold have had a heart attck.

So that's why I don't like the dentist.

I'll make a long story short.

Off and on this week, I've had horrendous pain in my mouth that radiates up to my nose.

Whenever I lay down to sleep, I'll doze and then the pain wakes me up, and it's wicked. I'd get up, pace all over the house and it would go away. Weird. Up and down all night. Last night I slept in the basement because I didn't want to keep anyone else up.

I couldn't put my finger on the exact tooth, but knew something was going on.

I went to the dentist yesterday and he took x-rays, but couldn't find anything. He thought I might need a root canal.

He sent me off to an endodontist whom I'd never met and I was a wreck. I listened to my Christian music in the car and it did no good. My heart was pounding, I was hot flashing, my stomach was a mess. I couldn't get a hold of myself.

I then jumped in the dentist chair, share what a wreck I am, and why, and he promised not to hurt me. He had to finish with another patient and he'd be back.

I took my little prayer book out of my purse and found something that gave me peace.FInally, my heart slowed down a bit, and I was able to relax.

He did all the tests, like hot/cold sensitivity, tapping, etc., and couldn't find anything. He did another x-ray and still couldn't find anything.

Here's the scoop. He asked me if I was stressed. I shared that Dad was in the hospital and that my FIL had a rough week at the Alzheimer's home, etc.

He believes this is because I'm clenching my teeth. He gave me an antibiotic just in case there was a sinus infection or a gum infection they were missing and sent me home with these instructions:

Every hour, stop, take two deep breaths, swallow and make sure your teeth aren't together.

Before bedtime, repeat, "I will not clench my teeth," ten times.

And you know what? I think he's onto something.

Last night was better after 3:30, and today's been a bit better too.

I'll keep you posted.

Just wanted to share in case this happens to anyone else.

Deep breath, deep breath, swallow and relax mouth. You better beleive I"m doing this. And everytime I went back to sleep last night, I said, "I will not clench my teeth," ten times.