Was your father in the diplomatic corp? Who/what was he a diplomat for? Very interesting. Did he live in East Berlin or just work there from day-to-day? Sounds like a very interesting story.

We got to walk around but had maps and were told not to wander away from the areas or we could be held against our will. It was kindda scary, really. There were cameras every where so I'm certain we were watched and I'm sure people on the street were watching us although we didn't know who that was. Everyone looked depressed. Yes, it was a crime...so sad. It's one thing to see pictures of it...but, to actually step into a communist held country was something one cannot describe the feeling. I was so grateful when we got back to checkpoint charlie...I think I almost kissed the ground.
You and I would have made good friends...I like to explore as well...I'm not one to take tour busses...I like going on my own and exploring off the main thoroughfare...much more fun that way.