I think there's a huge difference between the terms "religious" and "spiritual". For me, the word "religious" denotes adherance and conformity to the canons, rules and norms of a particular church or religious institution. While I enjoy and yearn for community worship and the joys that come from journeying together within a community of believers, I'm at a point right now where the rules and expectations and obligations of the institutional "religion" stifle me and don't fit me anymore. Someday they will, but for now, it's okay that I just "be still and know that He is God". It's/He's enough for me right now, in the space and frame of mind I'm in these days.

So I can't say I'm religious, but I am in deeper personal relationship with God than ever before...somewhere in my journey through the grief and pain of the past few years, I met Him in a whole new way, He touched me in unmistakeably tender caring ways, and now our relationship is so much richer and satisfying than ever before. I don't talk about it as much as I might like to because I think it weirds people out...partly because I see and read the scriptures in a whole new light and it's far more loving, tender and empowering than any of my religious contexts ever allowed for. He's simply the core and vitality of all that I am now...and when I'm open to all possibilities where He's concerned, the possibilities are endless and bright - and it really, truly is all about love.

(Maya Angelou)