Originally Posted By: jawjaw
For clogged up kitchen drains, I pour a cup of baking soda down the drain followed by some vinegar....when that stops bubbling, I pour boiling water down the drain. If you do this once a month, NO CLOGS! It works like magic...

Now I'm wondering if a baking soda/vinegar solution would take the "smoke" stain off of the INSIDE windshield of my car....anyone know? It is an old car ('98 Toyota) and the previous owner was a smoker. At night, holy cow! You can hardly see out of it. Forget Windex or any of the other cleaners. They don't cut it (pun intended).

JawJaw,
I wouldn't use baking soda on the inside of a car - just because it can be messy. Yes, straight white vinegar works on the tar and nicotine left on the inside of windshields. However, it takes a bit of elbow grease and numerous applications of the vinegar to get it fully cleaned. I know this because my hubby and I smoke. He likes to exhale thru his partially opened sunroof - man, was that a bugger of a job to get clean.

If you have some sort of rag that won't scratch your windshield that may work better than paper towels. I think I need to find something like that for the next time I clean hubby's car windows. (I'm so glad we don't smoke in our house. And the bigger challenge is stopping altogether. Any suggestions, I'm happy to hear.)