Originally Posted By: Ellemm
So are these our only choices? Tea parties and white gloves or biking gear? Can't we do both if we choose? Or something in the middle? I get your point, but I wouldn't assume that any woman who is dressed up is doing it to catch a man or because she's foolish. We all have different routines.

There's no doubt we spend too much time worrying about what we look like and don't build enough exercise into our daily routines, but I don't see casual dressing and regular exercising as necessarily connected. I already see people very sloppily dressed or nearly undressed all the time. They don't need any lessons in learning to be casual or in not worrying what they look like, and they certainly don't look like they're exercising regularly. I think for a lot of us just encouraging us to value sensible shoes for walking would do a lot of good. Cycling is awesome but not everyone's going to do it. *Any* exercise would be good.

And I don't usually wear shorts because I burn too easily. In fact, I have a scarf I wear in my car because I get burnt just driving. Light, covering clothing is better and safer for me.

Ellen, I only meant my comments about some women who won't engage in vigorous exercise (some really need this) because they have outright told me in person about not wanting to look sweaty/unpleasant, etc.

Sorry to say, but a certain amount of regular physical activity means anyone will look abit unpleasant. One can't wish much about beautiful self-image while sweating away, working the heart bit, etc. Having said that, there is always rm. for times of being dressed up. But in some social circles, there is near requirement of looking dressier for restaurant dinners, etc. But thank goodness those social requirements are abit more relaxed/casual than 50 yrs. ago.

ANd hence, way more diverse choice on comfortable clothing and shoes for walking, easier movement, etc. than many years ago.

But like you, I don't equate casualness with being sloppy. Like you, I cover up the top part of myself (ie. I don't wear tank tops, sleeveless when cycling, hiking) to protect my skin. But I leave my legs exposed as a concession to heat relief.

Sorry if I caused misunderstanding.